If the person has phoned for assistance as they believe that some of their property has been stolen:
- Be mindful that the person may have forgotten that they phoned for assistance. If this is the case and they are happy make apologies and leave.
- If the person maintains their property is missing – ask if you can look around. Be aware that a recent memory can get confused with a past memory causing the person to believe that a theft has taken place.
- If you locate the missing item show it to them and hopefully they will be satisfied.
- If you do not find it (some people with dementia put items somewhere safe and forget where they’ve put them) Emergency Service Personnel may need to contact a family member to inform of the situation and gain their support.
- Follow general advice when dealing with the person.