A person with dementia may believe that a relative is missing but they may have moved away or died:
- The individual is likely to be feeling very emotional.
- Use general advice to calm them.
- If the individual makes reference to a relative/spouse who is dead do not remind them that they have died. As they do not remember this, they are likely to become much more anxious and upset if given this information – it will be like they have learnt they have died for the first time. Instead encourage conversation about the relative using the words “Tell me about……..”
- When the person appears settled Emergency Personnel can find an appropriate time to leave.
- There may be a need to contact the family or social services.