As dementia progresses the individuals ability to communicate deteriorates. In the earlier stages words may get muddled but the main meaning will be clear. Later on it becomes more difficult to understand the message but understanding the emotion behind the message can help.
- Anger/aggression – they feel threatened or may be in pain.
- Sad/crying – they may feel insecure and frightened or may be in pain.
- Scared – they feel frightened and may try to get away from something.
- Anxious – they feel disorientated and confused.
- Sexual gestures – they are looking for intimacy e.g. a cuddle.